Trash or Treasure...???

A nearby friend is moving.  And in the process of moving it's often an opportunity to get rid of furniture and things that have been collected over the years.  Some things are valuable, and others you are willing to part with.  So as it happened a few items show up on a local "Finds" page and I take a look.

At first I see a few items that are pretty (not like I have any room for anything, but I'm always curious)... and then I see a pretty piece of furniture.  Again, no room for it, but I ask the dimensions.  As is my job as an interior designer, I often have several jobs going on at once and it's not unreasonable for me to find something unique for someone else....  

This piece was intriguing... and I felt it was worth more than the "Garage sale" price that was being asked....


After a few texts and questions, I started doing some homework.   It's a beautiful Case Furniture Credenza.  A unique wall unit that would be ideal in a shallow hallway, and yet still be beautiful in an entry.  It could be a petite bar or small buffet, or a small bookcase in an office.  I wish I had the room.

Next question... who is it made by?  Is it a cheap reproduction, or something more?  It turns out to be something more... Much More!

No description available. Admittedly, I knew very little about the maker.  But a brass plate with the name and location was a good starting point.  John Widdicomb, Makers of Fine Furniture, Grand Rapids.   It doesn't take long to discover that these pieces, in good to well cared for condition, fetch several hundreds, or thousands.   In comparing this piece to other items with similar dimensions and finishes.... I would guess that the fair auction price would be starting at $850, and potentially be up to $1500. Larger pieces from similar collections were (when I searched various auctions and antique dealser) fetching $3600 and more.  

I shared this information with my friend.  Not to discourage her from selling it, but perhaps to let her decide if getting it appraised or selling it for action would be a better avenue. Or maybe there's some sentimental connection that she can now ask about?  

The take-away for me is to ask....  If you don't know what you've got, then there's something lost.  I'm here to help you discover who made it, where it came from, and perhaps what it's worth.  I'm not an expert in antiques, but I love furniture, I love fabrics, and I love to explore and learn about what it is you've got.  I'm here to help you find it.  I'm here to help you find it a new home.  I'm here to help you put it in your home.  If it needs a frame, if it needs better lighting, if it needs a new color.... That's what I love to do!  

And about my friend who is moving.... lucky for me, she will now be 1.5 miles away from me...  :)  That's a winning move in my opinion!


Welcome to the Neighborhood!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiona's Desk and Homework Center

DIY Bathroom Renovations: Original Post 12/21 = Updated 2/2024

Fiona's Room - Phase 3... the Purple Paint....